(view in a separate
(Last modified: September 21, 2016)
- Students papers are available here. [12/13/04]
- The quote on the Module D Review Exercise sheet. [12/13/04]
- “the family is a peculiarly Western and modern concept. Some
cultures do not employ the category ‘family’ at all.” Judith
Stacey (1996) in In the Name of the Family: Rethinking Family Values
in the Postmodern Age
- What do you think of Merck (a
NY Times article; registration may be required)?
- More materials to analyze competition/cooperation: According to Gloria
Elliott, 10% of people are really egoistic (called "full-time jerks")
According to Martin Nowak, if less than 30% of the population is egoistic,
cooperation can thrive under certain conditions (source).
Should we be optimistic? [11/29/04]
- The web site for the PBS program "Now" is here.
Highly recommended to be more aware of the complexity of our society. [11/23/04]
- The web site that contains the full text of Edgar Allan Poe's Eureka:
A Prose Poem (also available in the library) is here.
The information about John Astin's Edgar Allan Poe: Once upon a Midnight is here.
- The excerpt on complex systems and education is available here.
Here are two notable research institutes in this country. [11/23/04]
- The web site for the video "The Sacred Balance" is here. [11/16/04]
- Exhibit on family diversity (click here). [11/4/04]
- The quotes on the Module B Review Exercise sheet. [10/25/04]
- “Choosing a partner is choosing a set of problems” Dan
Wile (1988) in After the Honeymoon
- “We can forget our childhood, but we cannot deny it” anonymous
recording in California
Learning Day (Wed., Oct. 6) featuring Barbara Ehrenreich at 12:30pm in
vs. Board of Education Speaker Series featuring Oliver Horton at 5:30pm,
Thu., Oct. 7, Forcina Hall 134. [10/3/04]
- Clarification: For Tue., Sep. 21, do Exercise A3 (i.e., revise your Module
A paper following the organization discussed in class). Optionally, create
your "supporting notes" (for the evaluation form), write up your
justification for the goals/criteria discussed in class (i.e., C1-3,
P2, 5), and show it to me after class. As I said in class, doing this little
by little is the best way to avoid the last-minute frenzy. [9/17/04]
- The class meeting on Tue., Sep. 14 is canceled due to the instructor's
administrative responsibility. The on-line syllabus (schedule) reflects
this change. [9/10/04]
- Welcome to FSP111-01 course web site! You are welcome to browse the
web pages. However, there is nothing you have to do until the first day of
class (2 p.m. on Aug. 31 in Holman
Hall 126). Please come on time. See you soon. [rev 8/26/04,